Thursday, 22 January 2015

Up-cycled Jars

Hi all

Brrrr it's so cold out there - you'll find me tucked away in my crafty corner, and today it's all about up-cycling.
As you know I have a bit of an obsession with not throwing away things that I think can be used for something else, especially jars and pots.  I was lucky enough to be given some very tasty biscuits for Christmas and although they are long gone, I just couldn't throw the tube away.
It is such a useful size (although I would argue that ALL empty tubes and jars are the right size for something) that I just had to give it a makeover




I hope you love this once boring cardboard tube as much as I do


If you would like to have a go you will need the following




Emtpy jars or tubes
scissors (Adult supervision required here)
paint 
paintbrush
glue
paper or fabric
ribbon or any crafty bits you want to add 


First, make sure that the tube or jar is clean and dry

I like to have some idea of what I am going to make so I have roughly chosen what I intend to use for this project




I am a huge fan of sticky back material.  It's something that I have only just found and it was just perfect for this.  It did remind me though of a big plaster and unlike glue, there is not much room for error as it seems to grab the tube or jar and if you crease it, it can be quite a challenge to rectify.






The first thing you need to do is prepare the tube. I wanted to have a white background as the material has white polka dots on, but I'm sure it would have looked just as nice left black.  The downside of sticky back material is it tends to be quite thin, so you will probably need to cover the whole tube so that the details of what was previously in it, doesn't show through

It is best to do a few thin layers of paint and you will need to make sure that the paint is completely dry between coats as it will lift off the previous layer and spoil all your hard work

Once you have painted the tube you can now start making it look pretty





Measure the material so that it fully goes round the circumference of the tube - you could also use pretty wrapping paper or you could even design your own paper




I wanted to use two different colours in a stripe pattern so I cut two strips of the beige polka dot and stuck it on carefully around the tube

The neater you can cut the strips, the nicer the top and bottom edges will be, although as you will see later, I tidied mine up with lace




I then cut a strip of the pink polka dot and wrapped it round the centre of the tube.  As you will see, the other fabric is showing through so to rectify this I decided to add lace



And a pretty pink satin ribbon


And some buttons, evenly spaced around the centre. I used a strong glue for this as I don't want them pinging off as I open and close the tube



I also thought it would bring the effect together if I added pink to the lid, so to do this I drew around the bottom of the tube and cut it out making sure that I cut inside the line
On my first attempt, it was still a bit big for the top, so I carefully cut a bit more off evenly around the circle




All that I needed to do then was re-pierce the hole in to top of the lid and make a loop out of garden twine and thread it through from the inside and secure it with tape so that it doesn't fall out

I now have a really pretty pot and I know just the thing that I am going to store in there

And of course I couldn't stop there !

This


Became this


Then I changed my mind (well that is a ladies prerogative isn't it)


And I usually make my glass jars a crochet jacket but this jar has had a classy makeover too



I think they look so much better now and no-one anywhere will have the same storage jars

Please note, that obviously they can only be wiped clean and not submersed in water but as they cost next to nothing to make, once they start looking worse for wear, I can simply make some more

Why not have a go and I would love to see your designs

Happy Crafting

Wendy
X